Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Raising Diabetes Awareness

12

There are countless reasons to customize a car. Andrew Darville, a 20 year-old student at Saddleback College  in Mission Viejo, California,  modded his 2006 Dodge Charger to raise awareness about diabetes—a  disease he knows all too well.

“My family has been affected by diabetes a long time,” says Andrew. “My great grandmother passed away from diabetes the year I was born. My grandmother is 65 and has had diabetes since she was 40. My mom was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at 35. The doctors predict I will be diagnosed younger than all of them.”

“I got the car last December to go to school, not intending to do anything to it,” Andrew says. “Then I started going to car shows with my buddies and seeing things I wanted to do with my car.” The major mods include Borla exhaust, airbag suspension, Black Art 22-inch wheels, scissor doors on all four corners, and custom two-tone paint with diabetes awareness graphics on the hood.

“I just started creating and building up ideas. I worked on everything myself, except for the paint job,” Andrew notes.  Show credits so far include a feature spot in the Borla exhibit at the 2012 SEMA Show in Las Vegas. “I take the car not just to car events, but to diabetes events as well, including the Diabetes Walks and the Cruising for a Cure bike event.”

To learn more about Andrew and his Dodge Charger and to lend moral support, you can visit his car’s Facebook page, Care for a Cause.  “I created this car in tribute to my family and others that are currently in the same state,” Andrew says. “My love for cars began when I was 5 and knew every type of car that put rubber on the road. Once I could finally get my own car, I put all I have into it.”

Article and image courtesy of Dodge Redline.

No comments: