Summers in New Mexico can be hot. Your car or truck’s air conditioning system is vital in keeping your vehicle bearable while you drive. Here are some tips to keep your vehicle’s A/C in working order and help keep you cool while you drive.
· Prevent heat from building up inside, whenever you can. Park in the shade or use a reflective window shade inside the windshield.
· Ventilate the car by lowering a window while you’re parked. As you start driving, lower the windows for a bit to let the hot air escape and make it easier for your A/C to begin to cool the interior.
· Turn on and shut down the A/C properly. When you reach your destination, turn the A/C off before turning off the engine. When you start the engine, switch the air conditioner to it’s low setting first, then increasing the blower’s speed and adjusting the temperature control.
· Use the recirculation feature. Once the A/C has cooled the interior air, switch it to recirculation mode. Otherwise, it will pull in the hot outside air and have to work harder to cool it, over and over while you drive.
· Maintenance is important. The vehicle’s air filter plays a role in the A/C’s efficiency so be sure to follow your car’s maintenance schedule and replace the filter when needed. The service technicians at Melloy Dodge’s Service Department will also advise if the filter needs to be replaced; our hot and dusty climate may require a replacement even before the manufacturer’s recommendation. Over time, the refrigerant inside the A/C may also need to be recharged. For best outcomes, do that at a certified repair shop for your vehicle’s manufacturer.
At Melloy Dodge, we know that keeping your cool while driving is important. To keep your A/C in it’s best working order, visit the Express Lane at Melloy Dodge, 9621 Coors Blvd NW in Albuquerque. It’s a no-appointment service center, perfect for routine automotive maintenance. For more complex service work, on any make or model, schedule service online or by calling our Service Department at 505-302-2131.